Monday, September 19, 2011

Corn and Potato Chowder

Another crummy day inspired a need for comfort food. With the "James Taylor" Pandora Station on, I began looking up recipes to find the best one that would boost my mood. I decided to go with a Corn, Potato and Cheese Soup from Soup Bowl by Love Food. I had made this once before and loved it. Most of the ingredients it called for I had and I fudged what I didn't. Here's the approximate recipe I created from what the book dictated. Remember, when I cook I don't usually measure. Eyeballing is how I roll... ha :-)

This is one of my "One-Pot Wonders"



Heat 1-2 Tablespoons EVOO in large pot on medium and add 1/2-1/3 cup onions chopped. Cook about 3-5 minutes, until soft. Do not allow to brown. Add 2 cups chopped potatoes* and cook for 2 minutes. Mix in 2 Tablespoons of flour**. Add 1/2 cup dry white wine (Chardonnay) and 1-2 cups milk (1%, etc.). Stir and allow to boil. Bring down to a simmer. Add 1- 1 1/2 cups corn, 1-2 cups shredded cheddar cheese*** (white, yellow, sharp, mild, etc.) and salt (and pepper) to taste. Stir and add Herbs**** and 1 cup cream/evaporated milk. Stir frequently. If the chowder looks to thick and gloopy (yes, that's a technical term), add some water or extra milk in small amounts. If it looks too thin, hold off on add an extra tablespoon of flour until it has time to simmer and cook together. Cook anywhere between 5 and 20 minutes, until chowder is thick. Serve with croutons and extra shredded cheddar on top!

*The original recipe calls for 'potatoes'. It does not specify whether raw or cooked. I used raw and it took much longer and more attention until they were cooked through. If you want to SAVE TIME pre-cook the chopped potatoes.
** Add flour one tablespoon at a time. You can always add more, but once the soup is thick it is difficult to thin it out without loosing flavor.
*** Cheese gives the soup extra flavor. If you're feeling AMBITIOUS try using different kinds of cheeses. Stay with those that are soft and don't have an overwhelming taste; gouda, sharp/light cheddar, etc.
**** Experiment with herbs. Be AMBITIOUS. The original recipes called for Sage. I used Parsley and Oregano instead. If you are nervous, spoon out a sample of the soup, add a piece of herb and taste!

*©ApronStringstoDiamondRings All Rights Reserved 

No comments:

Post a Comment